Letter to my Lolo

January 02, 2018

Dear Lolo,



It's been five days since you left us. I was aghast about your sudden demise. You look strong a few days before Christmas. I remember our short conversation. I told you about the arrival of your child working in Hong Kong in 22nd of December, and you answered only "Yes." But, with that reply, I felt that you were really excited about the vacation of Aunt Ester. You waited patiently as your child together with other members of the family needed to travel at dawn to reach Pangasinan.

I saw your happiness when my aunt hugged you tightly in 23rd of the month. The house was festive as there was a reunion of family members. It was a rare moment to see your siblings completely. I am sorry if I failed to capture those moments with the lens of my camera. We were all busy and enjoyed the conversations. I told to myself that it will be the best Christmas celebration the family will have. 

We had our breakfast together. We ate fried fish, shrimps, crabs, and bamboo cake. You had your time sharing your adventures when you were still young to your current son-in-law. Above all, you were hopeful as you will seek medication in the next days. 

However, the next happenings were unexpected. You became weak as your heart illness triggered. I saw how you fought the pain. I saw you crying and praying. I felt pity on how you tried to resist your unbearable condition. 

"Laking (local term for grandpa), don't be nervous," I said while assisting you in wearing your slippers. You just sighed with pain. That was our last conversation before you admitted in hospital at Bolinao.

Two hours before Christmas day, we waited fervently for the result. Honestly, we did not have the moment to eat our Noche Buena blissfully. Then, we received an update from our aunt that you were in critical condition. Your blood pressure was fluctuating the worst.  We thought we're going to lose you during the happiest day on Earth. But, you survived the night. That was a good Christmas gift the family received. We were advised to wait for three days for the doctors and nurses need to observe you. 

I really wanted to visit you in the hospital, but I have to finish stuff for my title defense. Your condition became better and I saw a glimpse of  hope when my father told that you were in your normal color. 

In the 26th, you played against Death anew. Your blood pressure became critical. You were asked by Uncle Rod if you want to go home. You said yes. Then, you overcame the brawl, but it was apparent that your condition was not good anymore. You changed your mind and plead that you want to be transferred in Dagupan. Your request was granted.

That night, my mother who accompanied you in the hospital mentioned that your blood pressure turned worst again. I felt hopeless. I really wanted to make him well. I just prayed to God for healing. On the other hand, I also told God that I am ready if in case the opposite transpire. 

In the next morning, that opposite thing happened. You breathe your last. You left us peacefully. You have accepted your fate. You were scared to die before. You told your dreams about dead people. Then, you became open about it. You entrusted yourself to the Lord wholeheartedly.  You really finished the race. You have reached your destination. 

Rest in peace, Lolo Berting. Do not worry. We are going to try our best to move on and live life efficiently. Thank you for everything. Thank you for being a loving grandfather. Sorry for the hurt that I inflicted to you especially when Lola tells you about your arguments. You may not be the perfect grandfather, but you are one of those grandparents that one can be proud of. 

Enjoy your stay in heaven. No more pain, no more grief. The joy in the kingdom is endless. 

P.S.

I am going to take care Lola Titay.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images